Unholy Ghosts

Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1)Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book was awesome! I love the premise, the world, and the characters!

Chess Putnam is a Church member. She is a Debunker, which means that she goes around trying to prove hauntings as false. See, in this world, there is no religion, only truth. And the Church are the ones who battled the ghosts away at the Haunting years ago. So now they are the supreme rule, and their members are held with respect and awe. When Chess can't disprove a haunting, she banishes the ghost to the City, the underground place where all spirits dwell.

But when she's pulled into a case by her drug lord (she's a secret addict), she might've bitten off more than she can chew. Bump wants her to get rid of ghosts at an airfield. And then a competing drug lord named Slobag, doesn't want her to get rid of the ghosts. While she's working this case, she's also working on a case for the Church. But both cases start having eerie instances, and it might just be too much for Chess to deal with alone, or at all. Will Chess be able to figure out the cases before the drug lords decide she's no good to them anymore?

We also meet in this book Terrible, one of Bump's men, who helps Chess along the way, and who has a bit of a thing for her I think, and we meet Lex, one of Slobag's men, who also helps Chess on the way, and who for sure has a thing for her.

When I read the premise of this book, I was totally intrigued. I finally picked it up, and I'm not sorry I did. The world building lacks a little, in that at times I felt a bit lost, and the way that Lex, Terrible, and Bump talk seemed strange in that they talked that way, without explanation, while Chess and everyone else seemed to speak normally.

The characters are all amazing. I love Chess, which I wasn't sure if I would or not, since she has a drug addiction. I have a personal hatred for drugs in real life, and so I wasn't so thrilled to read that she had an addiction, but the way that Ms. Kane writes it, it doesn't bother me. I love Terrible. He's written like a 50's greaser, and I'm totally hoping he and Chess end up hooking up. Lex is Korean, and kind of punk or metal based on the description. He keeps calling Chess "Tulip" which amuses me to no end. There's kind of a love triangle hinted in this book, so, I can't wait to see where she takes it.

All in all this book was very enjoyable. I did figure out the "Whodonit" before it was revealed, but at the same time, it took me a while to figure it out. If you haven't checked out this series, do so! You won't be sorry! I cannot WAIT to start book 2!

~♥~
Lady D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books vs. Movies

Phoenix Feather

The Bite Before Christmas