One for the Money

One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1)One for the Money by Janet Evanovich
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is the first book in the Stephanie Plum series. Now, I normally shy away from crime books, but my aunt has been trying to get me to read this series for years, and so I finally picked it up after seeing the trailer for the movie. All I have to say is WOW.

Stephanie Plum is amazing! She's smart mouthed, funny, and clumsy. She's extremely easy to relate to! She is newly divorced, and recently laid-off. She's in desperate need of cash, and so she seeks out a job at her cousin's bail bond company. As luck has it, one of the bondsmen recently came down ill, and so she weasels her way into the position.

Reading about her trying to learn the ropes is hilarious. She's afraid of her gun, and completely out of her league with this job. The secondary characters provide great laughs as well. You have Ranger, who is another bondsman for Vinnie, Grandma Mazur, Stephanie's grandmother who provides great comic relief, and you have Joe Morelli.

Any time that Stephanie and Joe are on the page together is great. He's a former... fling for Stephanie, and the sexual tension that leaks from these two is great. Joe also kind of wronged Stephanie in the past, so, she tried to run him over with her father's Buick. So, needless to say, there's also just general tension between the two. It's awesome.

And then there is the main antagonist, a boxer named Rodriguez. He plagues Stephanie this whole book, and to be honest, some of the dialogue between the two got a bit uncomfortable for me. There is some mention of rape, and that's a subject that I'm really uncomfortable with. But Janet Evanovich did a great job with the subject, and she never really let it get too uncomfortable.

The plot I thought was a bit predictable at times, but at the end, I completely got thrown for a loop. Ms. Evanovich did a great job with this ending!

In the end One for the Money is a fun, fast-paced, breezy read that's great for anyone. I can't wait for the next book to see what's going to happen to Stephanie!!

View all my reviews

~♥~
Lady D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books vs. Movies

The Bite Before Christmas

Phoenix Feather